Prof. Marco Malagodi is going to explain some of the secrets that science unvealed about the construction of stringed instruments….
Other Academic degrees
Politecnico di Milano has been working in Cremona since 1987 with a seat that combines the high-quality level of the didactic and research offer of Politecnico with the attention to the evolution of the labor market and a strong connection with the companies, creating the best conditions for the professional success of its graduated students.
Politecnico di Milano has seven headquarters on the territory. Every headquarter is an attraction centre for all the didactic, research, cultural, social and technology transfer activities.
The main characteristics of Cremona Headquarter are:
• ICT for
– services and companies
• Smart Agrifood for
– digital innovation in food-processing and agricultural supply chain
• acoustics for
– integration among sound, acoustics and information technologies
– development of innovative systems for the acquisition and reproduction of the sound in the space
• business management based on
– information and communication technologies (ICT)
– analysis of the environmental aspects
– re-organization and digitalization of business processes
The didactic offer has developed gradually, from the Special University School in Information Technologies to the University Certificate in ICT Engineering and Automation (1991). Then, in the academic year 1997/1998, were launched the first two years of 14 Degrees in Engineering (Old University System). The bachelor degree of the New University System was introduced in the academic year 2000/2001 while, in 2008/09 it was implemented the University System 270/04. In the academic year 2016/2017, it was proposed the curriculum in Musical Acoustics, in the framework of the Master Degree in Computer Engineering (in English).
In Cremona’s headquarter are active the following courses:
BACHELOR (duration 3 years)
• Engineering Management: this course is focused on the idea of an enterprise as a system, with specific organization patterns for its activities and with peculiar managing tools (turnovers, analysis of the costs, evaluation of the investments, competitive analysis);
• ICT engineering: this course deals with the new information technologies, with their impact on the development of productive activities and with the innovation and dissemination of multimedia communication (web, iPod, mobile phones, interactive tablets, podcasts).
Degree in Engineering Management
The Degree in Engineering Management was born in 1982, it was the first in Italy and it has always played a cutting-edge role in Italy and in Europe. It can count on an excellent Management School at European level that can boast some of the best Master Courses in Italy. The Degree in Engineering Management aims at providing the students with a specific knowledge about the problems connected to business management (costs, investments, strategy, marketing, organization), planning and management of productive logistics.
The Engineering Manager, as an engineer in charge of change and innovation, is destined to work in complex contexts that become heterogeneous because of the strong interaction among the economic, organizational and technological variables.
The course produces a multi-tasking professional, but every student can define his/her path giving more emphasis to some themes and not to some others, according to the exams chosen at the beginning of the third year. More specifically, some different curricula are proposed:
• Organization: it is concentrated on the idea of the business as a system, on the organization of its activities and on the managing instruments (turnovers, analysis of the costs, evaluation of the investments, competitive analysis). In this sector, more attention is dedicated to the interaction among the managing choices and the technological choices and to the problems of re-organization and digitalization of the business processes;
• Practical: for those who are more interested in entering immediately the labour world. This curriculum includes an internship in a company, in which the student is directly involved in a working experience.
Role played by the Engineering Manager
Besides the traditional technical roles, the Engineering Manager nowadays must:
• be able to understand the complexity of the processes (productive, logistics and administrative) and to plan, organize and manage them in a continuous innovative way;
• identify the essential elements for competition, from technological-organizing innovation to financial tools;
• being prepared to work in different contexts: companies, third sector, sector of authorities and public administration.
More than 10.000 engineering managers have graduated at Politecnico di Milano and they are now everywhere. This testifies that the labor market really appreciates this kind of professional role.
They are employed in:
• services’ enterprises (tele-communications, transports etc.),
• advisory companies,
• financial institutions ,
• banks and insurance companies ,
• authorities, public administration and non-profit sector.
The engineering managers carry out a large spectrum of activities, such as: planning of technology and production means, planning and management of productive-logistic systems, strategic planning and marketing, audit and organization, regulation of the competition and of the sectors of the network services, relationships with the authority, finance of the markets and corporate finance, management of big projects (manufacturing and processing plants, infrastructures, R&D), Internet applications and in general the area of ICT.
On the basis of the evaluation of his/her CV, the person graduated in engineering management can enroll to the Master Degree in Engineering Management (or similar sectors). Another opportunity is a First Level Master (enrollment conditions must be checked previously).
Degree in Information Technologies
Information Technologies Engineering has a long tradition at Politecnico di Milano: the first calculator was installed in Italy in 1954 at Politecnico di Milano, that, even nowadays can boast the best research result (recognized by important evaluation international companies). The development of Information technologies has had an extraordinary impact on the productive, social and economic reality of the last years. These subjects, in fact, have become fundamental elements for culture and organization of modern companies and for several social activities, supporting their change and innovation. The Degree in Information Technologies Engineering aims at training engineers with a wide and strong scientific and technological knowledge, able to develop and use the methods and the instruments of information technologies from the engineering point of view and able to face common problems through a wide spectrum of applications.
The training path is deeply-oriented to a basic training that allows the student to acquire the essential elements of the scientific subjects that represent the basic fundamental elements of the engineering studies (physics but especially mathematics, that means analysis, geometry, algebra, mathematical logic, statistics and probability assessment). This basic knowledge is developed especially in the first three semesters. ICT knowledge is concrete and it is accompanied by other subjects of information engineering, like automation, telecommunications and electronic. Engineering knowledge is completed by different training choices. The student can choose, especially if she/he intends to go on with the studies in the higher levels of the training path, to complete his/her basic training in engineering subjects but also in sectors different from ICT engineering (like, for example, Chemistry, Technical Physics, Mechanics). Otherwise, if she/he does not want to go on with his/her studies, s/he can choose engineering subjects in the sector of information technologies and project activities specifically connected to information technologies engineering. The students who do not want to go on with their studies are recommended to start an internship in one of the companies of the territory, in order to acquire some specific professional skills.
The role of the Information Technologies Engineer
The professional activity of an ICT engineer is particularly wide and varied:
• designing and implementing information systems for the companies ;
• automation of the services in public and private services through web technologies ;
• development of multimedia and ipermedia systems ;
• definition of models and control of the productive processes and systems ; • development of ICT systems based on techniques of joint project Hw/Sw;
• development of systems based on artificial intelligence ;
• planning of ICT architectures and network systems.
The course provides a wide knowledge that makes of the person graduated in Information Technologies Engineering one of the most required professional profiles. The professionals of the ICT engineering area appear in several statistics as extremely required and well-paid by the companies. According to the ISTAT official data, the ICT engineers represent the category of graduated people who, in general, have less problems in finding a stable job (only 6 months from graduation as national average and less than two months for the graduated people of Politecnico di Milano). This trend is respected also at world level.
On the basis of the evaluation of the training curriculum, the person graduated in ICT engineering can enroll to a Master Degree in ICT Engineering or in similar sectors. Otherwise, the graduated person can start a First Level Master Course (enrollment conditions must be checked previously).
Master Degree in Music and Acoustic Engineering
The Master Degree in Music and Acoustic Engineering has two different curricula:
one is more focused on music acoustics (vibratory, acoustic and timbre behaviour of music instruments, designing listening environments, sound and vibrations); the other one is mainly focused on music ICT and sound processing.
These two paths will be organized partially in Campus Leonardo and partially in Cremona Campus.
People graduated in Acoustic and Music Engineering are experts able to propose original solutions for the management and processing of audio, acoustics and music information. They can interact with multi-tasking groups that include artists in the sector of music and performative arts, in general, but also architects and designers.
The music acoustic engineer is an expert who knows all the methodological and project aspects of vibrating and resonant (passive and active) systems to produce, change and enjoy music like the music instruments (acoustic, electro-acoustic and electronic), the listening and industrial environments, the amplification and dissemination devices. It is a professional profile that combines in the best way different skills: from acoustic and electro-acoustic designing, to audio and acoustic signals’ processing, to music ICT to management and organization of this information.
The music acoustic engineer, thanks to his deep ICT and acoustic skills, can work as a designer in all the sectors connected to music-environmental acoustics and electro-acoustics.